Over the past few months I have become quite passionate about ensuring that my family and I are using safer, cleaner products for our skin, our health and our home. One of my goals for 2019 was to switch out all of the items we use to products I can trust are safe AND effective. I’ve been excited to find that there are so many amazing options out there, and more hitting the market every day. Whether it’s skincare or cleaning products, there is no longer a need to sacrifice quality and efficacy for safety, and that is pretty amazing.
As a result, I’m excited to annouce a new weekly blog series that highlights companies dedicated to the mission of providing safer, cleaner products. The first part of this series will focus on skincare. There are so many amazing companies making a difference in the skincare space, but I’ve chosen to highlight Beautycounter first because of their combined focus on safer products AND advocacy. As added motivation to keep reading, if you make it to the end there are some money saving tips AND a special offer for my blog readers!
Beautycounter was founded in 2013 by Gregg Renfrew, a wife and mom that was surprised to learn about the lack of regulation in the personal care industry. She started Beautycounter to make real progress in the industry.
The Beautycounter mission is to get safer products into the hands of everyone. Decades of studies indicate that serious health issues (including but not limited to asthma, cancer, and infertility) are on the rise and are due in some part to our ongoing exposure to toxic chemicals—whether it’s in the shower, on our commute, while we eat lunch at a local restaurant, or when we clean our kitchens at home. There are more than 80,000 chemicals on the market today. Many don’t have any safety data. This is particularly true of those used in the skin care and beauty industry. What’s worse is that the FDA (the agency that regulates cosmetics in the U.S.) does not have the authority to remove harmful ingredients from the products we put on our bodies and on our kids’ bodies every single day, day after day.
What’s more scary is that the U.S, has not passed a major federal law to regulate the safety of ingredients used in personal care products since 1938. THAT IS 81 YEARS! Meanwhile, over the past two decades the European Union has banned close to 1,400 chemicals in the product formulas of personal care products and restricted the levels of over 250 more in such products. The U.S. has only partially banned 30 to date. So Beautycounter decided to do something about it. They have prohibited the use of over 1,500 questionable or harmful chemicals through their “The Never List”, without sacrificing product performance.
Does this make anyone else’s anxiety kick into overdrive? I mean our bodies are being exposed to tens of thousands of chemicals every day and we have no idea whether they are safe of not. What scares me more than my own exposure to them is my kids’ exposure to them. While I cannot control everything that my family and I come into contact with each day, I’m committed to doing what I can to limit our exposure. And that’s one of the things I love about Beautycounter – they do the research for me. I don’t have to read every product label and memorize which ingredients are good and bad. They are also an all-encompassing beauty brand that sells everything from makeup to skincare to bath and body.
I have been a using Beautycounter products for several months and have been extremely impressed with their performance. While I love pretty much everything they sell, I wanted to highlight a few of my favorites, all of which have become staples in my routine.
A FEW OF MY FAVORITE PRODUCTS
Cleansing Balm – This baby is a true multi-tasker. I love when you can combine several products into one, saving both money and counterspace! This can be used as a makeup remover, skin cleanser, lip mask, hydrating overnight mask (my favorite use!), cuticle moisturizer and to treat your little ones’ dry lips and skin. If you’re looking to dip your toes into Beautycounter products, this is a great place to start!
No. 3 Balancing Facial Oil – With a blend of seven natural oils, this moisturizes, smooths and makes your skin glow. It also smells and feels amazing, so I always look forward to putting it on every morning.
Overnight Rejuvenating Peel – This peel was released last summer, but is already a Beautycounter favorite. It’s gentle on the skin and doesn’t cause the flaking so many peels do. You’ll wake up to smoother, softer skin and smaller pores. Yes, please!
Sunscreen – The FDA recently announced their findings that mineral sunscreens are safe, but chemical sunscreens need more research. Luckily Beautycounter has one of the best mineral sunscreens around. Not only does it work, but it doesn’t leave you looking like a ghost the way many other mineral sunscreens do. With three versions available – lotion, stick and spray – there’s a version for every person and every lifestyle.
Lip Conditioner – I’m a bit of a lip balm junkie. I used to apply vaseline to my lips nightly until I read about the dangers of petroleum. I switched over to Beautycounter’s Lip Conditioner and couldn’t be happier. It comes in a glass container that fits in even the smallest clutch, but will last forever!
Liquid Eyeliner – I’ve always been a liquid eyeliner girl. Nothing makes you look awake quite like a line of pure black eyeliner and a few swipes of mascara. This eyeliner is gentle enough for my sensitive eyes and makes it super easy to get the line as thin and precise as you’d like.
Lipstick – One of the first items I wanted to clean up in my beauty routine was my lipstick, considering I ingest it daily and kiss my husband and my kids with it! Beautycounter’s color intense lipsticks come in a variety of beautiful shades, they go on smooth and they last! If you’re looking for more of a subtle daytime option, the Sheer Lipstick is a beautiful blend between a lipstick and a gloss, and is surprisingly moisturizing.
IS IT EXPENSIVE?
I think there is a misconception that Beautycounter is too expensive for some people. I truly believe that you get what you pay for, and with Beautycounter you’re getting high quality, high performing products. Rather than buying a bunch of inexpensive products that don’t do a whole lot, I prefer to invest in products that get me results.
A few thing I think it’s important to keep in mind:
- With Beautycounter you are getting products made from cleaner, safer ingredients, so you are truly caring for your skin and investing in your future.
- When you treat your skin well, you often need less products overall – especially makeup.
- These products last a LONG time. Trust me when I say that a little bit goes a long way. Some of these items, like the cleansing balm, can last you up to 6 months with makes it just $13/month.
MONEY SAVING TIPS
- Sign up for the Band of Beauty membership. This costs $29 per year and gets you all of the below:
- Free shipping on orders of $100+
- 10% Product credit on all orders (e.g. spend $100, have a $10 credit towards your next purchase!) And you have four months to spend your product credits.
- Welcome gift when you spend your first $50 on products after enrolling (the gift changes regularly, but is always worth $25 or more!)
- Join a cash back program. Cash back companies basically reward you for shopping online, and it couldn’t be easier. I’ve been using CouponCabin for years and love it! They have a browser plug-in that let’s me know when I’m on a website with a CouponCabin offer, and I can activate the offer with the click of a button. CouponCabin offers 5% cash back on all Beautycounter.com orders. Ebates is another very popular option, and they offer 4% cashback on all Beautycounter.com orders.
- Keep an eye out for promotions. Beautycounter does promotions frequently, and often you can get a free product by spending a certain amount of money or purchasing a certain item.
- Check out the LAST CHANCE section of the website frequently. There are some great deals to be had here, and it’s one of my favorite places to start shopping. I’ve seen certain shades of the Sheer Lipstick for 50% off, as well as deals on blush, eyeshadow and hair products!
A SPECIAL GIFT FOR YOU!
I love Beautycounter products so much that I made the jump to becoming a Beautycounter Consultant at the start of this year. It made sense for me and my family, and the timing was right. As a special treat for my readers, I’m offering a special gift included in your first purchase with me. If you email me and mention that you were referred by this blog post, you will get a free 3.4oz sunscreen with your first order!